Assignment 1a - Objects as Subjects
Monday, August 16, 2010
Rationale
Photography can serve simply as a visual book – a straightforward record of events, people, and places. However, it can also treat the subject itself as a mean to an end, i.e. a source of colors, shapes, and forms (visual qualities) from which an image can be created.
Task
Within NUS outdoor compound, capture the following visual qualities through composition using straight photographic (on‐camera) techniques:
• Line
• Shape
• Form
• Texture
• Color
photo Line
photo Shape
photo Shape

photo Color
Photography can serve simply as a visual book – a straightforward record of events, people, and places. However, it can also treat the subject itself as a mean to an end, i.e. a source of colors, shapes, and forms (visual qualities) from which an image can be created.
Task
Within NUS outdoor compound, capture the following visual qualities through composition using straight photographic (on‐camera) techniques:
• Line
• Shape
• Form
• Texture
• Color
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Camera: Canon EOS 50D
ISO: 100
Exposure: 1/13 sec
Aperture: 5.0
Focal Length: 50mm
ISO: 100
Exposure: 1/13 sec
Aperture: 5.0
Focal Length: 50mm
This is taken right outside the Deck (Arts canteen), showing a wooden pathway focusing 2/3 down the path. To give it a surrealistic feel, I've tweaked the white balance to make the photo "purple-ish". But apparently I can't do that. So I have to change this photo. I still like this photo though:)
Camera: Canon EOS 50D
ISO: 100
Exposure: 1/80 sec
Aperture: 4.5
Focal Length: 35mm
ISO: 100
Exposure: 1/80 sec
Aperture: 4.5
Focal Length: 35mm
The 3 "Dry Riser Breeching Inlet" is in such a bright red, contrasting from the white background, it is shouting at me to take a photo of them. they are found somewhere between the computing and business schools. This should be my final chosen piece unless a better one comes up.
Camera: Canon EOS 50D
ISO: 100
Exposure: 1/640 sec
Aperture: 4.5
Focal Length: 50mm
ISO: 100
Exposure: 1/640 sec
Aperture: 4.5
Focal Length: 50mm
At the club house. I saw this path of tiles and an extra drain within them. They are all in the shape of squares which I thought would be cool to show a difference within the similar. But I guess this photo isn't as interesting as I thought it would be. The color is not screaming at you as much as the one above. It looks pretty dull in comparison hence, naaa not gonna choose this one.
photo Form
photo Form
photo Form
Camera: Canon EOS 50D
ISO: 100
Exposure: 1/1250 sec
Aperture: 4.5
Focal Length: 18mm
ISO: 100
Exposure: 1/1250 sec
Aperture: 4.5
Focal Length: 18mm
These 3 photos are taken at the club house as well. The subject is a 'structure' or 'sculpture' made of metal. I thought they would be good to show the 3D form of them. But it seems like I've misunderstood "form". I took the pictures of the sculpture against the sky which does not have any distractions like the buildings and grounds which will make the whole picture look messy.
This photo is forced Black and white, and focal length is 18mm. So it cannot be considered.
Camera: Canon EOS 50D
ISO: 100
Exposure: 1/500 sec
Aperture: 4.5
Focal Length: 28mm
ISO: 100
Exposure: 1/500 sec
Aperture: 4.5
Focal Length: 28mm
I've tweaked a little of the white balance in this photo, and the focal length is 28mm. Hence it is rejected as well.
turn Line
Camera: Canon EOS 50D
photo Texture
ISO: 100
Exposure: 1/2500 sec
Aperture: 4.5
Focal Length: 35mm
Exposure: 1/2500 sec
Aperture: 4.5
Focal Length: 35mm
Yay! Finally one that fits the bill. No tweak and 35mm! Phew just nice. I love this photo. I purposefully took an underexpose picture with the sun in it. It gives a very nice silhouette of the 'sculpture' (now I'm beginning to think that it is a structure not sculpture.) But It still doesn't fit into the theme Form but i'll have it under Line Whee!~
Camera: Canon EOS 50D
ISO: 100
Exposure: 1/125 sec
Aperture: 4.5
Focal Length: 40mm
Alright this is intended to be used to texture. But people are saying that it is line as well...I love the little droplets of water underneath the leaves (was dripping down on me when i was taking the photos-.-) I guess the texture isn't so obvious as well. Hence I have to retake Texture too.ISO: 100
Exposure: 1/125 sec
Aperture: 4.5
Focal Length: 40mm
Camera: Canon EOS 50D
ISO: 100
Exposure: 1/13 sec
Aperture: 5.6
Focal Length: 90mm
ISO: 100
Exposure: 1/13 sec
Aperture: 5.6
Focal Length: 90mm
This is taken near computing school. Obvious theme - Color however it didn't meet the technical requirement of 35-50mm. The plant is too far to take with 50mm!!!! Guess I've learnt a lot from this assignment.
Talking about learning...Reflection:
I might not be writing a reflection on every single assignment. But since this is the first assignment and I've learnt quite a lot, I thought it would be appropriate.
I'm still getting used to using the DSLR camera. It is so much different from a point & shoot camera. Not half as easy as I've expected. Nope not at all. There are sooooo many settings that will affect the outcome of a photo. In the past the only things I have to change is always only the white balance, and at most when needed to, flash and zoom.
Photography is not as easy as I thought it would be. But I still ♥ it ;]
IMPORTANT! things to take note when doing assignments-Note to self:
1. Remember to follow the instructions given in the assignment brief
2. Don't itchy fingers go anyhow tweak settings that you are not supposed to.
Good night peeps:)
♥Chloé 1:21 PM,
Post a Comment