Assignment 2a - Exposure Triangle
Friday, August 27, 2010
Rationale
To understand the use aperture, shutter speed and ISO is the basic but essential skills in photography. It allows photographers to have more control over the exposure of their photographs.
Task
Produce the following pictures through straight photographic (on‐camera) techniques (no manipulation is needed):
• Aperture:
o Shallow depth‐of‐field ‐ Focus on foreground (1 photo)
o Shallow depth‐of‐field ‐ Focus on background (1 photo)
o Deep depth‐of‐field (1 photo)
• Shutter Speed:
o Freeze Action (1 photo)
o Motion Blur (1 photo)
o Panning (1 photo)
photo Shallow Depth-of-field (DOF) - Focus on Foreground
photo Shallow DOF - Focus on Background
photo Deep DOF
photo Freeze Action
photo Motion Blur
photo Panning
photo Panning



To understand the use aperture, shutter speed and ISO is the basic but essential skills in photography. It allows photographers to have more control over the exposure of their photographs.
Task
Produce the following pictures through straight photographic (on‐camera) techniques (no manipulation is needed):
• Aperture:
o Shallow depth‐of‐field ‐ Focus on foreground (1 photo)
o Shallow depth‐of‐field ‐ Focus on background (1 photo)
o Deep depth‐of‐field (1 photo)
• Shutter Speed:
o Freeze Action (1 photo)
o Motion Blur (1 photo)
o Panning (1 photo)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Camera: Canon EOS 50D
ISO: 500
Exposure: 1/25 sec
Aperture: 5.0
Focal Length: 60mm
ISO: 500
Exposure: 1/25 sec
Aperture: 5.0
Focal Length: 60mm
Taken at Changi Airport. I have mixed feeling on this photo. I really love this photo, it gives a very warm and nostalgic feeling, bring you back to childhood, it focuses really well on the little boy figurine and has really nice bokeh at the background, however there's a square reflection on the right which really spoils the whole image. I may return to the place to have a reshoot of this picture (unless there's a way to edit this).
Camera: Canon EOS 50D
ISO: 500
Exposure: 1/25 sec
Aperture: 5.0
Focal Length: 70mm
ISO: 500
Exposure: 1/25 sec
Aperture: 5.0
Focal Length: 70mm
This photo is of the rabbits in the foreground looking towards the rabbits in the background. What if these animals really wakes up at night and talks to each other?
Angle wise I don't think it is so good as the dwarfs and the lower level could be seen very clearly. I would have to take another picture for this.
Camera: Canon EOS 50D
ISO: 400
Exposure: 1/100 sec
Aperture: 22.0
ISO: 400
Exposure: 1/100 sec
Aperture: 22.0
Taken at Clarke Quay.
During critique session our fellow classmates says this picture is very much like what you see on a postcard. I think so too. It may be a good thing but not. Personally I feel that this picture is very common hence: boring. It isn't a bad photograph but it isn't unique or special either. I may change this photo.
Camera: Canon EOS 50D
ISO: 500
Exposure: 1/1600 sec
Aperture: 5.6
Focal Length: 120mm
ISO: 500
Exposure: 1/1600 sec
Aperture: 5.6
Focal Length: 120mm
When I think about freeze action, I think about water. Because water travels at such a fast speed. I really love this photo as you can see the many water droplets hanging half-way in the picture which you wouldn't normally see. However since so many of the classmates chose to use water as well, I may very likely take another picture too.
Camera: Canon EOS 50D
ISO: 100
Exposure: 1.0 sec
Aperture: 5.6
Focal Length: 24mm
ISO: 100
Exposure: 1.0 sec
Aperture: 5.6
Focal Length: 24mm
Again taken at Changi Airport, this picture is taken to show the traffic of people moving at the skytrain station. My poor 'model' have to stand in the middle and bear with my for a while haha. I didn't have my tripod then and have to take many shots where I have to hold my breathe and ensure the camera doesn't move over the long period of time. Hence this is only a good idea however the framing is a bit off. Will bring a tripod there next time to shoot! :D
Camera: Canon EOS 50D
ISO: 100
Exposure: 1/30 sec
Aperture: 13.0
Focal Length: 18mm
ISO: 100
Exposure: 1/30 sec
Aperture: 13.0
Focal Length: 18mm
Caught this person cycling a pretty 'different' bike. and took a picture of him! Thought the shadow would have looked better at the other side. But it's ok. Love the blur-ness of the wheels at the back!
Camera: Canon EOS 50D
ISO: 100
Exposure: 1/30 sec
Aperture: 16.0
Focal Length: 18mm
ISO: 100
Exposure: 1/30 sec
Aperture: 16.0
Focal Length: 18mm
The yellow car looks so much like a toy car in the panning shot. Moreover the background (building) suits it so well! It is so cute! Framing wise could be better.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Other shots for consideration:
Shallow DOF, focus on Foreground
Deep DOF
(blur in foreground...not deep enough)
Motion Blur
I really love this shot. Everything is perfect!
but I just prefer the idea I had on top.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reflection/ note to self:
Bring tripod when you need it, don't be lazy!
♥Chloé 3:06 PM,
Post a Comment