Assignment 3 - Focal Length
Saturday, September 4, 2010
Rationale
To understand focal length and the use of lenses in photography is essential, especially if one wants to achieve certain visual effects.
Task
Produce the following pictures through straight photographic (on‐camera) techniques:
• Focal length:
o Perspective (1 photo)
o Close Up (1 photo)
o Zoom Shot (1 photo)
• Concept Photo:
o Metaphor of a SMILE (1 photo)
• Expressing a SMILE without displaying any smiling face (no human, animal, toy or doll etc.)
photo Perspective
photo Perspective
photo Close Up
photo Zoom Shot
photo Smile
To understand focal length and the use of lenses in photography is essential, especially if one wants to achieve certain visual effects.
Task
Produce the following pictures through straight photographic (on‐camera) techniques:
• Focal length:
o Perspective (1 photo)
o Close Up (1 photo)
o Zoom Shot (1 photo)
• Concept Photo:
o Metaphor of a SMILE (1 photo)
• Expressing a SMILE without displaying any smiling face (no human, animal, toy or doll etc.)
------------------------------------------------------------------
Camera: Canon EOS 50D
ISO: 100
Exposure: 1/25 sec
Aperture: 9.0
Focal Length: 24mm
I guess I didn't understand what is required of 'perspective' enough...
ISO: 100
Exposure: 1/25 sec
Aperture: 9.0
Focal Length: 24mm
I guess I didn't understand what is required of 'perspective' enough...
This photo is actually taken at a 'stadium-like' seating at the open roof of VivoCity. The wooden planks are actually seats and not joined. I took the picture intending to make it seems joined together, like a flat ground. Whilst having the shoe which isn't that far away seemed far.
Camera: Canon EOS 50D
ISO: 100
Exposure: 1/25 sec
Aperture: 9.0
Focal Length: 50mm
I was only standing on the seat of the 'stadium' so it actually is really near. The photo was taken with the intention of "I'm going to jump/commit suicide"
ISO: 100
Exposure: 1/25 sec
Aperture: 9.0
Focal Length: 50mm
I was only standing on the seat of the 'stadium' so it actually is really near. The photo was taken with the intention of "I'm going to jump/commit suicide"
I don't know if this will work for it. One of our classmates during critique session actually suggested that I should really stand at the edge of a really tall building to take this picture again. Hahaaa dangerous! But I MIGHT consider it.
dunno why but - I
♥
this photo!Camera: Canon EOS 50D
ISO: 800
Exposure: 1/10 sec
Aperture: 5.6
Focal Length: 200mm
Close up of a cymbal stand of a drum set. Can you tell? I think it's pretty boring though. Will take another photo for this :)
ISO: 800
Exposure: 1/10 sec
Aperture: 5.6
Focal Length: 200mm
Close up of a cymbal stand of a drum set. Can you tell? I think it's pretty boring though. Will take another photo for this :)
Camera: Canon EOS 50D
ISO: 100
Exposure: 1/4 sec
Aperture: 22.0
Focal Length: 24mm?
This photo really needs some photo editing. Since we are not supposed to, I didn't do it (yet) so yep. This is a graffiti done by a famous graffiti artist for/in VivoCity. Though this is not the first time I'm doing zoom shot, this is the first time I find it difficult to do a zoom shot. I found out afterwards that it is because the subject is a flat surface.
ISO: 100
Exposure: 1/4 sec
Aperture: 22.0
Focal Length: 24mm?
This photo really needs some photo editing. Since we are not supposed to, I didn't do it (yet) so yep. This is a graffiti done by a famous graffiti artist for/in VivoCity. Though this is not the first time I'm doing zoom shot, this is the first time I find it difficult to do a zoom shot. I found out afterwards that it is because the subject is a flat surface.
Other difficulties I have while taking this is to ensure that I focused on the eyes at first then zoom out to the entire image/vice versa. Because the eye is at the top right of the picture, I have to be accurate (and i can't see where I'm going after clicking the shutter!) so this is really difficult =(
Another difficulty I have is the brightness of the photo. It is either too bright or too dark. Guess I need to buck up more on the technical skills.
Camera: Canon EOS 50D
ISO: 800
Exposure: 1/6 sec
Aperture: 5.6
Focal Length: 90mm
When I came across this topic. The first thing that comes to my mind is old married couple (granny + grandpa) holding hands sitting together on a bench.
ISO: 800
Exposure: 1/6 sec
Aperture: 5.6
Focal Length: 90mm
When I came across this topic. The first thing that comes to my mind is old married couple (granny + grandpa) holding hands sitting together on a bench.
But I can't take that. So this is what came to my mind next.
I spent literally 1 hour to take this shot (many photos of same idea with different arrangement, angle blah blah blah). I find it difficult to frame this. And I shake so often in the photo is always blur. I had to take it at midnight because I was rushing my assignments and sunday nights are the only ones I'll make sandwich for brunch on long monday. So wanting to quickly take photo (w/o time used to set the tripod) actually took more time off me! -.-
I shouldn't tell you the idea and story behind it. You should guess & interpret it yourself. There are subtle clues to a bigger story too. I shouldn't spoil the fun:)
I ain't smiling when I took this picture. But It does transcends smile, and I like it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reflection/Note to self:
Just set up the tripod already. You'll be wasting more time then not setting it up!
♥Chloé 4:20 AM,
Post a Comment